On most campuses, rape is a less serious crime than plagiarism, says Women Breaking the Silence. Reading this, the YFP immediately rushed to consult our copy of the Undergraduate Regulations. Our discovery? According to Yale’s campus regulations, murder is also a less serious crime than plagiarism.
Hypocrite of the Month: Local 35 president Tom Gaudioso, who argued that students working in the dining halls should not be allowed to vote in union elections because “they are not permanent workers at Yale and wouldn’t have the same interests as workers who will spend their lifetimes here.” This is the same man who invested $100,000 of union money in a student organization called GESO.
YDN staff reporter Carolyn Calfee’s October 19 article, “Bush’s Leadership Fails Minorities,” uses four minority student to speak for Yale’s 1000-plus minority students. By those standards, the YFP (41% minority) could replace the Observer as Yale’s ethnic magazine.
But seriously, folks. Does anyone besides the YDN reporters care what the Yale College Council endorses? What are they, the People’s Front of Judea?
In other news, AASA held a vigorous debate on the topic, “Resolved: AASA is pointless.” After a rousing speech from Eugenia Chen, the sole attendee, the meeting adjourned to the Saybrook Athenaeum Room to join “Man Against Sexual Violence.”
The close-cropped hair, the tightly-shut lips; the brown shirts, the eye-catching armbands; the brotherhood, the inspiring leadership and the invigorating sense of racial pride—yes, the men of Lambda Upsilon Lambda have it all. Que viva la raza!
The full title of the ChiCom mouthpiece is A Dandelion for the Unconvinced. For their next trick, may we suggest A Rose for the Re-educated, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Worship Mao?
Further examples of things we could never get away with: The Student Coalition for Diversity offered us a speech this month entitled “Ethnic Studies: Still Crazy After All These Years.” This job is too easy.
According to the Yale College Humanist Society, 96% of “conservative Christian activists” believe that “Christians should be in politics to protect their values.” What we want to know is, what the hell do the other 4% believe?
Wei Jingsheng is unconvinced.
Theme programming: On Friday, October 2, the Paul Mellon Arts Center hosted a show by the Connecticut Gay Men’s Chorus. The next day, they presented a play by the Children’s Theater Series. It was “Curious George.”
More painful than getting shot 41 times by the NYPD, stupider than a blind girl bringing her guide dog to a DKE party, less funny than an overflowing CCL toilet—it’s Rumpus.
Only in New Haven would community groups oppose an asbestos removal company because they suspected that it might, possibly, under some circumstances, require a truck.
And only in New Haven would community groups prefer a job training center to a job.
If God is all good and all powerful, why is Tanya Loh writing rap songs for Type?
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday was celebrated this year with the lack of a lecture in African-American Studies. We hope Professor Cathy Cohen will honor the Reverend Doctor King in this fashion every day.
The sociology department is looking to hire five new senior professors. The philosophy department is looking to hire… anybody. Or anything, A ferret… a table lamp…
Joseph A. P. De Feo
Return to Top