Application Process & Deadlines
Applying for admission and credit for non-Yale Programs is a simultaneous two-step process:
- Application for Admission into Program/University: You must apply directly to the university or program abroad you would like to attend. You can access the programs' applications directly from their websites. It is your responsibility to ensure all application materials are submitted to your desired program by the relevant deadline.
Program Approval Forms: Many non-Yale study abroad program applications include a Program Approval Form. This form should be completed by the Yale study abroad office. You can:
- Email your study abroad adviser the online form (if available)
- Drop the paper form off at our office and we will email you when it is ready to be picked up
- Schedule an appointment to meet with an adviser and we will complete the form during our meeting
The Year or Term Abroad application does not need to be completed for Yale exchanges or affiliations. To access the application for these programs, please click on the relevant link below:
Danish Institute for Study Abroad
The Study Abroad Committee will consider petitions for new program approval on a case-by-case basis. Students who wish to petition for new program approval must:
- Schedule an appointment with a study abroad adviser to discuss the program. Please bring program materials with you to this meeting.
- Acquire faculty support. Schedule a meeting with a relevant faculty member (someone familiar with the program, the subject focus of the program, and/or the country to which you will be traveling) to discuss this program. Bring detailed information about the program to your meeting. The faculty member should review the academic content of the program in light of your stated goals for your study abroad experience. As part of the petition, you will be directed to ask this faculty member to submit a letter of support for the program. Be sure to schedule this meeting well in advance of the Year or Term Abroad Petition deadline.
- Submit a Year or Term Abroad New Program Petition.
The Committee will consider the following when reviewing a petition for program approval:
- Relevance of the program to the student's academic program at Yale and to her/his study abroad goals
- Program location - See the Yale College Student Travel Policy for a list of countries to which study abroad is currently restricted.
- Quality of the program's academics and student support services
- Language of instruction - See Yale's language requirement
- Whether or not the student has Yale faculty support to attend the program
Applicants will be notified of the Committee's decision within two weeks of petition submission.
Special note about Cambridge and Oxford:
Students interested in these programs for the academic year are advised to apply early! We recommend you submit your program applications in January for both the following Year and Spring Term abroad. YTA Applications are due by the dates listed above.