Yale College
Center for International and Professional Experience
55 Whitney Avenue
New Haven, CT

We value your comments and suggestions:

Earning Yale Credit

General Graduation Credit

You can earn a total of two outside course credits throughout all your three summers as a Yale student. This maximum of 2 credits includes credits earned in the US and abroad.

Summer Abroad plus a Term Abroad: Students can earn up to 6 credits (two for Summer Abroad and four for a Term Abroad).

Please note that credit will not be granted for any of the following:

Summer Abroad  

To earn general graduation credit:

Grades and GPA

Grades from abroad do not count toward your Yale GPA, nor are the grades from abroad listed on the Yale transcript. Please note, however, that Summer Abroad courses are not counted against your Cr/D/Fail allowance at Yale. Some departments may use grades earned through study abroad in their computations for Distinction in the Major. Check with your DUS.

Language Courses Abroad

In order to use non-Yale language courses taken abroad to fulfill Yale's language requirement, or to place into the next language level, you will need to meet the relevant department's requirements.

Departmental requirements may include turning in a copy of the transcript and work completed, and/or taking a placement exam administered by the language department when you return in the fall. Before you study abroad, you should contact the language coordinator or DUS of the relevant department to discuss these requirements.

Credit Towards Major & Distributional Requirements

In addition to applying your study abroad credit towards the thirty-six total you will need to graduate, you may, with appropriate permissions, apply these course credits toward fulfillment of distributional requirements or the requirements of your major.

Study abroad advisers have worked with academic departments to clarify study abroad credit considerations for each major. Specific information by academic department can be found here:

If you do not see your major listed here, please contact the department directly.

Students that complete an independent study and/or research project as part of their approved study abroad program and who think they might use the project for further research at Yale (e.g. senior essay), should review the instructions outlined in the Human Subjects Review Guidebook - Guidance of Student Projects. While the study abroad program will likely review the HSR process, students may also have to complete Yale's review process to use a project completed abroad toward work here on campus.

Next: Funding & ISA