← Back to FAQ Categories

Eli Whitney Students Admitted Prior to 2007–2008 FAQs

What types of federal financial aid are available to Eli Whitney students enrolled in a degree program?

U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have not previously received a Bachelor's Degree will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant. Eligibility is based upon the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your enrollment status. In 2013–2014, awards can range from $650 to $5,550 per academic year.

Students who are enrolled at least half-time (2 Yale credits per term) will be considered for the Federal Stafford loan. Students who are considered independent by federal criteria (not required to supply parent information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) may have extended eligibility under the Unsubsidized Federal Stafford loan program (see All About Education Loans).

The parents of dependent students who have good credit histories may elect to borrow through the Federal PLUS loan program. The maximum amount a parent can borrow is the cost of attendance, as determined by Student Financial Services, less other financial aid.

What other types of financial aid are available?

Credit-worthy students, or those with credit-worthy co-borrowers, can also pursue funding through the CT FELP Loan Program. This is a long-term educational loan with a minimum loan requirement of $2,000 per academic year. Information about CT FELP can be obtained by visiting their Web site at http://www.chesla.org, or by calling 1-800-252-3357 (within Connecticut) or 860-236-1400 (outside Connecticut).

Many lenders offer private alternative loans to help students and families meet educational expenses. Most of the loans are based on credit worthiness and the ability to repay and therefore require students to apply with cosigners. Information about alternative loans can be found at Selecting a Lender.

While gift aid from Yale College is not available to Eli Whitney students admitted prior to the 2007–2008 Academic Year, we would encourage you to pursue private grants and scholarships from other organizations, such as your or your parents' employers, civic organizations, foundations, etc.

Is there anything I need to do once my aid has been processed?

The primary thing you need to do once you receive your financial aid funds is to keep Student Financial Services informed of any changes in your enrollment status from what you listed on the Eli Whitney Financial Aid Application. If you add a class, you may be eligible for more funds; if you drop a class, your Pell Grant will be reduced and you may have to return loan funds.

Whom can I contact for further assistance?

You should contact Student Financial Services with questions about your financial aid, financing options, or your student account. Go to the Contact Information page for specific details.

← Back to FAQ Categories