AmeriCorps* VISTA Position: VISTA Community Liaison, NYC Immigrant Communities
Deadline for Applications: April 12 2009 Start Date: June 2009
Just Food is a non-profit organization that works to develop a just and sustainable food system in the New York City region. We do this by fostering new marketing and food-growing opportunities that address the needs of regional, rural family farms, NYC community gardeners, and NYC communities.
Just Food is offering this VISTA position in partnership with Hot Bread Kitchen, a nonprofit social enterprise that enhances the future of immigrant women and preserves baking traditions and recipes from around the world. Bakers receive training necessary to launch careers as business owners and professional bakers in New York City’s culinary industry.
We are seeking a full-time VISTA Member to work under the direction of the Executive Director to engage in the following activities:
• Recruit 3 new bakers and coordinate training efforts by cultivating relationships with community and social service agencies that serve immigrant women who live below the poverty line & who work in the informal sector.
• Coordinate English-as-a-Second-Language, computer & food safety classes for 3 trainees. Recruit 3 volunteers to act entrepreneurship mentors.
• Strengthen HBK’s capacity to work with vulnerable populations by supporting the 75% growth of earned income revenue stream by identifying and participating in community events, fairs, farmers markets and other tabling opportunities.
• Work with staff to prepare materials for special events.
• Research market food trends for new breads to add to the product line. Work with trainees in developing new marketing opportunities.
• In conjunction with Executive Director, create an evaluation and documentation strategy to monitor progress toward training goals.
• Respond to emergent organizational needs.
Skills and Expectations:
• Enthusiasm and willingness to learn about community health, culinary traditions and food access issues--knowledge is helpful, but not necessary
• An interest in non-profit work and social enterprise
• Capacity for collaborative project development
• Works well in teams with diverse groups across race and class
• Strong communication, writing, editing, research, and organizational skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with web design software preferred
• Flexibility and ability to respond to quickly changing work environment
• Self-motivated and focused
• Highly organized, detail-oriented and creative
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or commensurate experience
• Second language is strongly preferred
This is a position paid by Americorp/VISTA. Salary is non-negotiable.
Stipend: $13,548 per year ($521 paid bi-weekly)
Complete health care coverage and childcare payments (if you have a dependent child);
Free unlimited monthly MetroCard;
Relocation expenses of up to $550 (if you move to New York City for the position).
Upon successful completion of the program, participants will receive their choice of an educational award worth $4,725
To apply: Qualified candidates should fill out an application at www.americorps.org AND send a cover letter and resume to BOTH email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about this position, please contact Katrina Schultz at email@example.com For general information about Just Food VISTA positions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.