What We Do
To achieve our mission, STAY maintains six platforms that bring students and alumni together. Through almost 150 events since our founding, we’ve engaged more than 2,000 Yale students and more than 1,000 alums. As we develop our student-alumni mentorship platform in collaboration with Yale’s Career Services professionals, we’ll soon offer seven:
- Student Leadership Forums: These two day deep-dives into the essence of leadership—sponsored by STAY (and the AYA) and attended by a balanced blend of undergrads and graduate & professional students from almost every Yale school—have exposed more than 300 Yale students to the personal leadership stories (and lessons learned) of numerous accomplished Yale alums who travel back to campus to share their knowledge.
- Financial Life After Yale & Financial Literacy Sessions. These personalized and informal sessions, sponsored by STAY and led by a team of Yale alums, have been held in all 12 residential colleges and many Yale graduate & professional schools, for Yale-in-NYC summer students, and for recent alums. Attended by over 1,100 members of the Yale community, the sessions reach roughly 20% of graduating undergrads and 5-10% of students graduating from the graduate & professional schools where we sponsor these sessions.
- Career Panels & Webinars. Through the leadership, innovation and generosity of a Yale alum, STAY has co-sponsored 10 career panel webinars attended by close to 2,000 Yalies (roughly two-thirds alums and one-third students). In addition, STAY has co-sponsored traditional career panels attended by hundreds of students. These panels and webinars have exposed attendees to career wisdom from dozens of alumni career-panelists.
- Student & Alum Minglers. Yale’s amazing alums come back to campus regularly. When they do, STAY welcomes them to meet and mingle with current students. In addition, we arrange student-alumni gatherings at Yale Clubs around the country. More than a dozen STAY minglers—home and away—have brought together hundreds of students and alums.
- Service Opportunities & Yale Day of Service Service is central to our mission. Through service, STAY can change lives far beyond campus—and can do so through shoulder-to-shoulder teamwork by students and alums. During Yale’s annual Day of Service, and through local events in New Haven, STAY teams Yale alums and students to make a difference in their communities.
- The Yale-Jefferson Awards. Underlining STAY’s integral commitment to service, we annually partner with the national Jefferson Awards Organization to recognize one undergrad, one graduate/professional student, and one alumna for inspiring leadership in public/community service. Each year, an officer of Yale makes the award presentation in front of more than 500 alumni leaders.
- Mentoring: As a pilot project in advance of a mentorship program to be rolled out soon by Career Services to the undergraduate and graduate & professional student body, STAY will soon offer the chance to pair students with one or more potential mentors. Patterned after Stanford’s successful mentoring program, ours will be the first step toward unlocking one of the most-promising areas for student-alumni collaboration.
Our central purpose, previously-lacking at Yale and Yale's peers, sets us apart: our unique venues for unleashing student-alumni time and talent from three Yale communities (undergrads, graduate/professional students, and alumni/ae) as a way to form long-lasting, meaningful relationships. Our mission takes us far beyond New Haven. We aim to change lives--those of Yale students and alumni/ae, and those in places beyond Yale's day-to-day reach.