Assistant Professor, Sociology
and Jackson Institute for Global Affairs
Faculty Fellow, Center for Research on Inequalities and the Life Course CIQLE
Lloyd Grieger is an Assistant Professor in the department of Sociology and the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs, and a faculty fellow at the Center for Research on Inequalities and the Life Course (CIQLE). A social demographer, he received his PhD in Sociology and Public Policy in 2010 from the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy at the University of Michigan. He also received an MA (statistics) and an MPP (social policy analysis) from the University of Michigan.
His research interests include poverty and social policy, the transition to adulthood, and family/relationship formation in the United States and South Africa. He is also interested in quantitative research methods especially those using longitudinal panel data. He has held research positions at the U.S. Department of State (Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor), the United Nations (Demographic and Social Statistics Bureau), the Urban Institute, the (U.S.) National Poverty Center, and the Southern African Labor and Development Research Unit at the University of Cape Town.
Publications and Working Papers
- Grieger, Lloyd D and Sheldon Danziger. 2011. “Who Receives Food Stamps During Adulthood? Analyzing Repeatable Events with Incomplete Event Histories.” Demography 48(4): 1601-1614.
- Grieger, Lloyd D, Sheldon Danziger, and Robert Schoeni. 2009. “Accurately Measuring the Trend in Poverty in the United States Using the Panel Study of Income Dynamics.” Journal of Economic and Social Measurement 34(2-3): 105-117.
- Grieger, Lloyd D. and Jessica Wyse. 2012. "No Work, No Welfare: How Has the Transition to an Employment-Based Social Safety Net Affected Federal Income Assistance to Persistently Poor Children? Under Review.
- Grieger, Lloyd D. 2012. "The Recent Rapid Change in Sexual Behaviors Among South African Adolescents: An Expanded View of Trends in Risky Adolescent Behaviors." Under Review.
- Grieger, Lloyd D., Sheldon Danziger, and Peter Gottschalk. “Variation in the Hazard of Experiencing Poverty and its Severity During Adulthood.” In Progress.
- Grieger, Lloyd D., Yasamin Kusunoki, and David J. Harding. "How Does the Dyadic Nature of Relationships Complicate Traditional Explanations of Neighborhood Influences in Adolescent Sexual Behavior?" In Progress.
- GLBL 121 Applied Quantitative Analysis
- SOCY 580, Statistics I
- SOCY 595, Inequality and Life Course Workshop
- INRL 771 Applied Methods of Analysis