← Back to Student Loan Information

Applying for Federal Direct Loans

Please follow the instructions below depending on the type of loan for which you are applying.

Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)

In order to borrow a Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan, please complete the Federal Direct Student Loan Request Form found on the Newly Admitted Students page or the Continuing Students page, and submit the form to Student Financial Services.

New borrowers will be notified to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note once Yale originates the loan with the Department of Education. We will also notify you to complete the Federal Loan Entrance Counseling Session required for all first-time borrowers.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan

If you are applying for financial aid, you will receive information about the Direct PLUS loan with your award letter. A Federal Direct PLUS Loan Request Form will also be included in the eventuality that your parent desires to apply for the loan. In that case, please have your parent return the form to our office. The Request Form can also be found on the Newly Admitted Students page or the Continuing Students page of our website.

Please note: If the only financial aid for which you are applying is the Direct PLUS Loan, please complete the Loan Only Application Form that is also found on the Newly Admitted Students or Continuing Students pages of our website.