← Back to FAQ Categories

Summer Session Questions and Answers

What types of financial aid are available to current Yale College students who take classes through Yale Summer Session?

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

If you enroll in at least two course credits and you did not borrow the maximum Federal Direct Loan for your grade level ($5,500 for freshmen, $6,500 for sophomores and $7,500 for juniors and seniors) during the academic year, you may request a Federal Direct Loan for the balance of your eligibility.

If you have borrowed the maximum Federal Direct Loan, you may pursue funding through one of the available alternative loan programs. Please contact Student Financial Services for information.

International Students

International students, including Canadians, may request an International (Yale) Student Loan.

What type of aid is available to applicants who are not current undergraduates at Yale University?

If you are not a current undergraduate at Yale University, you may apply for an alternative loan. Please contact Student Financial Services for information.

Is there any scholarship aid available for Summer Session?

The Yale Summer Session Office awards a limited number of partial tuition scholarships on the basis of both financial need and academic excellence. Student Financial Services does not award any gift aid for Summer Session.

May I receive financial aid if I plan to take classes at another college or university?

Not normally, but you may want to contact the financial aid office at the school you plan to attend to determine what funds they may have available.

What type of aid is available to Yale students studying abroad for the summer?

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who receive a Yale Scholarship in the spring term and enroll in a program eligible for an International Summer Award (ISA) may receive an ISA stipend. The amount is based on the percentage of need as determined for the spring term and may also include an amount equal to the summer income contribution. For more detailed information regarding the International Summer Award, including a listing of eligible programs, visit the ISA Web site.

If you are studying abroad through another school or program, there is no financial aid available through Yale and Yale will not be able to certify any federal, state, or private grants or loans on your behalf.

Can my parents borrow on my behalf for costs associated with Yale Summer Session?

The supplemental loan program (Federal PLUS) is available to parents of Yale students attending Yale Summer Session, provided that the parent borrower is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and the student is enrolled in at least two course credits.

How much can I borrow to cover my summer educational expenses?

The maximum you may borrow is directly tied to your cost of education. Refer to the Summer Session Web site for additional information about the costs associated with your plans. Expenses considered by Student Financial Services include the application fee, tuition, room and meals, books, and personal and travel expenses.

Is there a deadline for applying for financial aid to attend Summer Session?

The priority deadline for submitting a complete application is Friday, May 2, 2014. Applications will be accepted after that date, but we cannot give any assurances that you will receive a response before your classes begin if you miss the May 2 deadline.

If I attend Summer Session, it seems unlikely that I will be able to meet the standard student income contribution Yale expects of returning students. What options do I have?

Because of the time and financial commitment to attend Summer Session, we understand that you may not be able to meet the student income contribution that will be part of your 2014–2015 financial aid award. You can request additional student loan(s) and/or term-time earnings to replace your student income contribution by contacting Student Financial Services.

← Back to FAQ Categories