Yale University.Calendar.Directories.

Graduate Joint Degrees

To enhance the educational opportunities of its graduate students, the MacMillan Center collaborates with four of Yale’s professional schools—the Law School, the School of Management, the School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, and the School of Public Health. Together, we have developed joint-degree programs that offer a strong connection between two demanding courses of study while also fulfilling the requirements of each separate school.

A joint degree enables graduating students to receive an M.A. and the equivalent degree from the Yale professional school, i.e., J.D., M.B.A., M.F., M.E.M., or M.P.H. Each joint program leads to the simultaneous award of two graduate professional degrees, and students can earn the two degrees simultaneously in less time than if they were pursued sequentially. The joint degrees provide an integrated education that combines two powerful programs and complements both, while protecting the integrity of each. While graduates of two-year M.A. programs do well upon graduation, it is interesting to note that joint-degree graduates have been exceptionally successful in the job market.

With the exception of the joint M.A./J.D. program, which requires four years, completion of all course requirements takes three years. Typically candidates spend the first year in one program and the second year in the partner program. During the third and final year of study, students register in one program each term. Joint-degree students are advised by a committee composed of the appropriate director of graduate studies (DGS) and a faculty member of the relevant professional school to guide them in this process.

Candidates must apply and be admitted separately to each school, i.e., each school makes its decision independently. It is highly recommended that students apply to and enter a joint-degree program from the outset, although it is possible to apply to the second program once matriculated at Yale.

Return to Top

Joint-Degree Program

Depending on the M.A., the course work required for each joint degree varies. Since the Global Affairs M.A. (successor to the International Relations M.A.) has the longest-standing tradition of joint degrees, its basic requirements are outlined below as an example. The joint M.A. programs in African Studies and in European and Russian Studies, which are under development, would follow the basic pattern. For details, please consult the appropriate director of graduate studies. Currently, joint degrees with Public Health and Law are available for M.A.s in African Studies and European and Russian Studies.

To complete the Global Affairs M.A. portion of the joint degree, students must complete the requirements for the Global Affairs degree, though only 12, not 16, courses are required. None of these courses may be from the partner school, though up to two of the core, or concentration, requirements may be met through courses at the partner school.

Global Affairs and Law (M.A./J.D)

Candidates for the four-year M.A/J.D. joint degree will spend the first year in one of the two programs. During the second, third, and fourth years, students generally divide their time between the Law School and the Graduate School. In some cases, a student may spend the entire third year in the Graduate School, in which case the fourth year will consist entirely of work in the Law School.

Global Affairs and Management (M.A./M.B.A)

To complete the M.B.A. component of the program, a student must fulfill all of the School of Management’s normal requirements. The one year of core curriculum study taken by all M.B.A. candidates in their first year may be taken in either the first or second year by the joint-degree student. Joint-degree candidates take only 13, not the usual 18, courses at SOM.

Global Affairs and Forestry & Environmental Studies (M.A./M.F. or M.A./M.E.M.)

For the Forestry & Environmental Studies component, students may elect from two of the F&ES master’s programs: the Master of Forestry and the Master of Environmental Management. Each F&ES master’s degree has its own specific requirements. Because of the individualized nature of the specialization requirements, all joint-degree students must complete the three-week F&ES summer training program in technical skills, which cover plant identification, vegetation measurement, and land measurement.

Global Affairs and Public Health (M.A./M.P.H.)

Exceptions for joint-degree candidates include the reduction of required EPH credit hours from 60 to 45 credit hours. Joint-degree candidates are not required to undertake the community project or internship, although they may choose them as electives.

For details about the requirements for a specific joint degree, please contact the appropriate director of graduate studies at the MacMillan Center and at the relevant professional school. For application materials, you must request them from both the Admissions Office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the Admissions Office of the relevant professional school.

Return to Top

Yale QuickLinks.