Yale Bulletin
and Calendar

March 22-29, 1999Volume 27, Number 25

Yale announces moderate increase in
term bill for the seventh straight year

For the second consecutive year, tuition and room and board for Yale undergraduates will rise by just 2.9 percent, matching the smallest rise at Yale since 1968 and the smallest among Ivy League schools in two decades.

The 2.9 percent increase in the Yale College term bill for 1999-2000 marks the seventh straight year that the rate of increase has declined or remained steady.

"Coupled with our commitment to need-based financial aid, this modest increase in the term bill will ensure that Yale remains affordable to students of all economic backgrounds," President Richard C. Levin said. "Keeping increases in the Yale College term bill to a minimum has been a top priority of the University, as the record of recent years demonstrates."

Tuition for the 1999-2000 academic year will rise from $23,780 to $24,500, and the room and board rate will be $7,440, an increase of $190. Students pay no mandatory fees in addition to the term bill, which will total $31,940.

Levin said Yale College will continue to admit students from the United States and Canada without regard to their ability to pay for their education and fully meet their need for financial aid. In addition, last year Yale increased the amount of financial aid funds available annually to international students.

In the current academic year, Yale is providing about $30 million in financial aid grants to more than 2,000 undergraduates, or about 38 percent of the undergraduate population. The average award from the University from its own funds is $14,850. In 1999-2000, Yale expects to provide about $31.5 million in financial aid to undergraduates, with the average grant rising to $15,500.

All of Yale's scholarship grants to students are need-based and can total as much as $27,000. Students who receive financial aid grants are also expected to meet some of the cost of their education, and most students meet this "self-help" requirement through a mix of earnings and government loans.

Yale has received a record 13,168 applications for the 1,300 places in the 1999 freshmen class.

The Yale University operating budget for 1998-99 totals $1.16 billion. Of that total revenue, 23 percent comes from term bill charges for Yale College and the University's graduate and professional schools. The remaining 77 percent of the University's funds comes from grant and contract income, endowment spending and gifts, medical services income, and other sources.


Yale strengthens Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Nobel laureate to visit Yale as Chubb Fellow
Biologists unravel genetics of fruit flies' sense of smell
Yale announces moderate increase in term bill for the seventh straight year
Endowed Professorships: Margot E. Fassler and Rogers M. Smith
Exhibits, symposium look back at the Pop art of the Sixties
Area performers to lift voices in memory of noted conductor
Slifka Center celebrates new Media Arts Endowment with preview screening . . .
Lecture series will explore role of technology in today's culture
Noted Scottish sociologist will be featured speaker in campus events
Special program at ISM marks publication of Bryan Spinks' book . . .
Area artists invited to participate in second annual 'City-Wide Open Studios' . . .
Off-campus concerts
Conference will examine issues facing gays and lesbians in the workplace

Bulletin Home|Visiting on Campus|Calendar of Events| Bulletin Board
Classified Ads|Search Archives|Production Schedule|Bulletin Staff
Public Affairs Home|News Releases|E-Mail Us|Yale Home Page