Mental Health

In your country it may not be common to seek the help of a doctor or therapist for personal problems. However, in the United States, there is no stigma or shame in asking help from a psychologist or other mental health professional. Furthermore, everything you discuss with a mental health clinician is held in strictest confidence. Should you find that adjusting to this new environment is more difficult than you expected and you feel that you are having trouble managing personal or academic difficulties, you should seek the assistance of a counselor, psychologist or other mental health professional. Additionally, there is a free (anonymous) on-line mental health screening for students that you may find helpful at (keyword = Yale). Here are some options for where to go for assistance:

Yale Health Plan

Plan members and their enrolled dependents who need counseling, psychotherapy or crisis intervention, should call or visit the Mental Health and Counseling Department at YUHS. The staff there is very accustomed to talking with international students and scholars about the adjustment process. If you have an emergency and need to see someone right away, there is a doctor on-call 24 hours a day. You can go in person, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm, to 17 Hillhouse Ave, or call 432-0290 to schedule an appointment. For emergency mental health care anytime after normal business hours, call 24 Hour Urgent Care at 432-0123.

Should YUHS refer you to a counselor or psychologist outside of YHP, and you are worried about the costs involved, you should request that you see someone who will bill on a sliding scale. This means that you will be billed according to what you can afford to pay based on your income.

Yale Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

This program allows Yale staff, faculty and their families to obtain immediate, confidential and professional help when personal difficulties begin to affect home life, health or job performance. Difficulties might include: marital conflicts; family concerns; personal relationships; drug or alcohol abuse; legal or financial problems; job pressures; or lifestyle changes related to divorce, aging, retirement, illness, etc. Wellness Corporation administers Yale’s program. For further information about services, see or contact a representative directly at 800-232-6092.

Non-Yale Insurance or Non-insured Referrals

If you are not on YHP or if you are uninsured, you will need to do a little research to find someone. The OISS can help you find assistance, or you can look in the yellow pages of the telephone book under “Psychologists” or “Psychotherapists”. To search on-line for certified therapists who can help you with specific problems, go to The site includes lots of helpful information about when to seek therapy, choosing the right therapist and more. Yale-New Haven Hospital (YNHH) also provides a referral service, and you can call them at 688-2000.

Health & Safety

Mental Health Resources

Screening For Mental Health, Inc.

Anxiety Disorders Association of America

Depression and BiPolar Support Alliance

National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

National Eating Disorders Association

National Institute of Mental Health

National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

National Mental Health Association

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Alliance

Stop A Suicide, Today!

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration


If someone is in imminent danger of hurting themselves or someone else, call:


If you, or someone you know, is in crisis, these telephone numbers will reach a person who will answer and assist 24 hours a day.

Professional standards of confidentiality are followed by all of these services.

Yale Urgent Care

Domestic Violence
789-8104 or toll free at 1-888-774-2900

Rape Crisis
878-1212 or toll free at 1-888-999-5545

Suicide Prevention
1-800-273-8255 or 211