How Do I Get My Social Security Refund?
If your employer has withheld these taxes in error, follow these steps:
- you must first request a refund of these taxes from your employer (if your employer is able to refund these taxes, no further action is necessary) ‐ for Yale‐earned income, contact the International Tax Office
- if your employer is unable to refund these taxes, request a statement outlining their denial of your refund and file forms 843 and 8316 Instructions for Filing Form 843 and 8316
- If you are unable to receive a refund of these taxes from your employer, you may then file Form 843 and 8316 to request a refund from the IRS.
Make sure to include the following:
- a completed 843 form (see IRS instructions)
- a completed 8316 form
- a copy of your W‐2(s) that indicates the Social Security tax that was withheld in error
- a copy of the current visa page of your passport
- a copy of your I‐94 card
- if applicable, a copy of your I‐20 form that indicates CPT or OPT authorization
- if applicable, a copy of your EAD card authorizing OPT or Economic Hardship
- a written statement that you unsuccessfully requested a refund of these taxes from your employer (this can be the statement that you obtained from your employer, or your own statement that you were denied refund of these taxes and were unable to obtain a statement from them)