Federal Income Tax Filing (Nonresident)

The filing deadline for the 2013 tax year is Tuesday, April 15, 2014.

Disclaimer: The tax resources offered by OISS are provided so that Yale international students and scholars can make informed personal decisions concerning their taxes. By choosing to use GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP), the online tax assistance program Yale OISS provides, you acknowledge that Yale University is not liable for any errors and incidental or consequential damages in connection with the program. OISS staff are not trained tax specialists and cannot provide individual advice on taxes. If you need further assistance, you should seek professional tax advice from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified accountant or attorney.



Do I need a SSN/ITIN?

If you received NO U.S.-based income in 2013, you may file your taxes without a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Proceed to step 2.

All other tax filers will need either a SSN or ITIN to file a tax return. If you don't have a SSN/ITIN you must get one now.

  • If you are an F-1 student with an on-campus job, you should apply for a SSN immediately. Stop by OISS to pick up an application and instructions.
  • If you are an F-1 student receiving a scholarship/fellowship above the cost of tuition, you will apply for an ITIN concurrently with your tax filing. Contact OISS to make an appointment to submit your completed documents.
  • J-1 students and scholars are eligible for a SSN. Stop by OISS to pick up an application and instructions.

Once you receive a SSN/ITIN, students should report the number to your school registrar. Scholars report the number to your business office.



Collect Your Income Statements

  • If you received no U.S.-based income in 2013, you will not receive any income statements. Proceed to step 3.
  • If you received any U.S.-based income in 2013, including scholarship/fellowship above tuition, collect ALL your income statements (forms W‐2, 1042‐S, 1099) which are issued between January and March. Depending on your individual circumstance, you may have multiples of one type and/or more than one type of income statement.


If you are unable to access your forms electronically, Payroll will mail paper statements to your most recent address. If do not receive these form(s) or have moved away, please contact employee.services@yale.edu with your name and past NetID and include the address to which you would like the forms to be sent.

Check that your name and SSN/ITIN are correct on these income statements. If they are incorrect, you will need to contact payroll.taxforms@yale.edu. (Note: if you have not previously been issued a SSN/ITIN, Yale will auto-populate this field, often with a number beginning with "9;" these Yale-issued numbers are not acceptable for tax filing purposes.)




Use GLACIER Tax Preparation (GTP) Software

OISS will provide an access code for GLACIER Tax Prep (GTP) to all current international students and scholars beginning in late February, 2014. (Tip: If you have previously used GTP, use the same user name and password to save time; your biographical information will be saved from previous years.)

  • If you received no U.S.-based income in 2013, GTP will generate only form 8843. Print, sign and mail to the address indicated in the instructions.
  • If you received any U.S.-based income in 2013, wait until you have all of your income statements before you begin the filing process. Enter the information from all of your income statements into GTP. Print, sign and mail to the address indicated in the instructions.

If you were present at Yale in 2013 but have since left, please send an email to oiss@yale.edu to request access.




Print, Sign, and Mail

GLACIER Tax Prep will populate the appropriate federal income tax forms for you. GTP does not submit your tax filing electronically. You will still need to print , sign and date the forms, attach the appropriate copies of your income statements and follow the instructions given to mail them to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

If you owe money, make your check payable to: United States Treasury



Keep Copies!

Remember to keep copies of what you file each year (in case your return gets reviewed and there is a problem or if the IRS audits you in the future). You can save the PDFs to your computer or print an extra copy - do not rely on GTP to store copies of your tax returns, as you may not be able to access them in the future.


This information is intended only for Yale international students and scholars who are nonresident alien taxpayers with income sources and level typical of students and scholars at Yale University. Although the information contained in this site has been reviewed carefully and should be adequate to assist most international students and scholars, it is not a substitute for advice obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax accountant. If your visa status has changed in the past year, or you believe you have a complicated tax issue, please consult the IRS or a qualified tax accountant.

In addition, while the tax preparation software, GLACIER Tax Prep, is being provided to help you with your tax filing obligations, you are individually responsible for verifying that the correct information has been entered into GLACIER Tax Prep and included on all forms and/or other documents printed or derived from GLACIER Tax Prep, and ultimately responsible for any errors or omissions.



Personal Taxes



Don't worry! If you use GLACIER it's unlikely you'll make a mistake. Your only obligation is to file on time. Should you make a mistake, the IRS will notify you.

A mistake in your filing will not impact your immigration status in any way. Do your best, keep copies, and submit on time!

Income statements

Your Yale Statements:

Download and Print Your W‐2:


Download and Print Your 1042-S form(s):


Need a replacement, duplicate or corrected Yale income statement form (W‐2, 1042‐S, 1099)?


Tax Resources

Yale and Government sites

Tax Treaties

Some countries have tax treaties with the U.S. that can sometimes reduce or eliminate federal income taxes for you.

PDF Documents