Traveling Outside the U.S.

All international students, scholars and family members planning to depart temporarily from the U.S. and return to the Yale area must have a valid passport in order to exit the U.S. The passport must also be valid for a minimum of six months into the future at the time of re-entry to the U.S. There are a few exceptions to this passport rule outlined on the government website (look for "Countries with Agreements...")

There have been significant changes to the I-94 Arrival/Departure Record issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). [Learn more...]

Except for Canadian citizens, all international students, scholars and family members will also need to have a valid U.S. visa stamp in their passport specific to their current activities (teacher, student, researcher, etc…). If your current visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new visa while outside the U.S. Information about renewing your visa can be found on this website.

Choose a visa type below for specific requirements for international travel.

Please select your visa type to see the details of travel requirements.