For Canadian Citizens

Canadian students and scholars do not need a visa to enter the United States. However, you will need to present the documents below to the U.S. immigration official at your U.S. Point of Entry:

  • Canadian Passport
    Effective December 31, 2007, a passport is required for ALL entries to the U.S., including land borders.
  • Form I-20
    Yale will mail you your I-20. The I-20 is your F-1 student immigration document. It has been produced by SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) and is an acknowledgement that your record is in the SEVIS system. 
  • SEVIS Fee Receipt
    All new students coming in F-1 status must pay a $200 SEVIS fee prior to applying for your visa. You can find instructions about paying the fee on this page. You will also receive a second receipt sent to you by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. 
  • Evidence of Funding
    Your financial documentation must be reflective of what is noted on your I-20 in section 8. Acceptable forms of financial certification include, your award letter, if you are on scholarship and/or a recent bank or investment statement as demonstration of personal funds.

Important Information About Your Status

You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.

As U.S. immigration inspectors are accustomed to admitting Canadian citizens as visitors, not full time students, it is your responsibility to make sure you are granted the correct immigration status when you are entering the U.S. If you are admitted as a visitor (or tourist) without receiving an I-94 entry card noting you have F-1 status, you will have return to Canada and re-enter a second time.