Consular Processing

All Legal Permanent Resident (LPR, a.k.a. green card) processes have separate applications in the final stage: eligibility and adjustment, or in some cases “consular processing.” The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) prepares and files the eligibility application with Form I-140 and the many accompanying materials. See the EB-1 Final Check List or the EB-2 Final Check List for details.

It is your responsibility as the Yale employee to prepare and file the adjustment or consular processing application for yourself and family members (spouses and unmarried children under 21 years old). Consular processing starts when the OISS receives a notice from the National Visa Center (NVC.) The OISS will forward the notice to you so that you may begin your consular processing application directly with the Center. To see a sample of the notice from NIV see the link to the right. For basic information about the process please refer to the U.S. State Department web site. Please feel free to ask OISS questions as you complete your Consular Processing application. However OISS cannot legally advise you, and in some cases it may be necessary to hire an immigration lawyer to assist you with the process.

Basic eligibility for Consular Processing:

  • The Yale sponsored Form I-140 (employment based green card application, normally EB-1, EB-2 or EB-3) must be approved.
  • You must be residing outside of the U.S. (can come to the US for visits during the process, but must complete the process outside the U.S.)
  • If Yale is sponsoring you for an Employment Based EB-2 or EB-3 please check with OISS to see if your PRIORITY DATE or immigrant visa is "current"
  • If you have had J Exchange Visitor status previously you may not be able to complete consular processing at this time. Please discuss with Parker Emerson in OISS.


PDF Documents

Consular Processing