Trade NAFTA Status (TN)

The non-immigrant NAFTA Free Trade Agreement (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico to work temporarily in the United States in certain occupations. The most typical use of the TN visa at Yale is for paid employees doing teaching or research. The general process (there are different details for Canadians and Mexicans below) is to have a specific TN support letter from the department (see sample to the right) and to enter the U.S. requesting TN status. The status is granted for up to a three year period based on the actual dates of employment. The TN visitor is given an I-94 record indicating that they have been admitted to the US, naming Yale as the employer, and listing the date by which they must depart. The TN employee needs to then register with the OISS upon arrival in the U.S. Please note; there is no grace period of additional time to remain in the U.S. beyond the date in the I-94 record.

Please chose a country below to see details. For additional information about TN status, visit the U.S. Department of State site.

Select your nationality below for specific TN information:

pdf Documents

TN Resources