H-1B Temporary Workers

H-1B temporary worker status is designated for individuals coming temporarily to the U. S. to work in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement." The H-1B is considered an “employer specific” status. This means that the scholar may only be paid by the specific H-1B sponsor, and only according to the terms in each H-1B application. Scholars in H-1B status cannot accept funds from another employer or source other than the employer listed in the H-1B application. However, no honorarium, wage, salary or material gain may be derived from these activities. Reimbursement for transportation and reasonable living expenses is permissible.