J-1 academic training is authorized by your J-1 program sponsor and does not require further authorization from the Departments of Homeland Security or State. To apply for "Academic Training," you must know who your J-1 Responsible Officer is, that is who represents your J-1 sponsor and issues your DS-2019 form. If Yale University is your sponsor, the advisers at OISS will evaluate your application and authorize you for Academic Training. If your DS-2019 was not issued by Yale University, and if you are uncertain how to reach your J-1 Responsible Officer, the staff at the OISS can assist you.
Academic training is available during your academic program and /or upon its completion. The following eligibility criteria must be met:
- You must be in good academic standing.
- The proposed employment must be directly related to your major field of study.
- You must maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your "Academic Training."
Amount of Employment Authorized Time Allowed
The time amounts listed below are a total amount of time available, whether the student applies to have Academic Training before or after completion of studies.
- Undergraduate programs: 18 months
- Graduate programs of study that are less than 18 months can have Academic Training only for the time equal to or less than the length of the program of study.
- Master's degree programs of study that are two-years or longer: 18 months
- Doctorate programs: Up to 36 months of Academic Training, out of which only 18 months may be used before the completion of study. Please note that a maximum of 18 months of Academic Training can be authorized at a time.
- To be authorized for academic training, you and your academic adviser must complete the Academic Adviser's Recommendation Form and submit it to OISS.
- The period of Academic Training must start no later than 30 days after the end of your program.
- Part-time employment for "Academic Training" counts against the 18 or 36 month limit at the same rate as full-time employment.
- Earning more than one degree does not increase your eligibility for "Academic Training."
Applying upon completion of your program of study
- Any Academic Training used prior to completion of studies is deducted from the total time allowed.
- You must obtain a written offer of appropriate employment and present a copy to the OISS no later than the ending date of your program
- If you plan to leave the United States after you complete your program of study and re-enter the country for J-1 Academic Training, you must obtain a new DS-2019 form before you leave.
- During the Academic Training period you are required to report any changes in your home address. You can fulfill this requirement on the OISS Web site.
- If you change employers, you need to apply for a new period of Academic Training per the instructions above.
After Academic Training:
When your DS-2019 authorizing Academic Training expires you have 30 days to depart the U.S. of apply for a change of visa status. You may not change to another J visa category for a 12 month period due to the "12 month Bar."