Occasional Lectures and
Short-Term Consultations

Eligible Visas:
dotted line

As a J-1 Scholar (professor, researcher, short-term scholar or specialist) your employment in the United States is restricted to the position described on your DS-2019 form. However the occasional lecture or short-term consultation is permitted, but only with prior written approval from your J-1 Responsible Officer. If Yale issued your DS-2019 form, OISS will issue this letter; if your J-1 sponsor is an external agency or organization you will need permission from this organization.

A request for authorization to engage in an occasional lecture or short term consultation will be possible only if the proposed activity:

  • is directly related to the objectives of your Exchange Visitor program;
  • is incidental to your primary program activities ; and
  • will not delay the completion of your Exchange Visitor program.

To obtain authorization, you must present the following to your J-1 Responsible Officer prior to the date of the proposed activity:

  • A letter (or email) from the host institution or organization containing:
    • a description of the terms and conditions of the proposed lecture or consultation,  
    • the date or duration of the activity (including the number of hours if an ongoing consultation)
    • the amount of compensation
    • the address where the activity will take place
  • A letter (or email) from your department head or supervisor containing:
    • explanation of how it is directly related and incidental to your principal activity
    • confirmation that it will not delay the completion of your Exchange Visitor program

Your authorization will be in the form of letter to you from your J-1 Responsible Officer. The inviting organization will need a copy of this letter in order to pay you an honorarium. You should keep a copy for your permanent record.

As a J-1 scholar your options for incidental employment are limited. Please remember that employment without proper authorization is a serious violation of your status. Before you begin any kind of employment, you must first consult your J-1 Responsible Officer, whose written approval is necessary in advance of your engaging in the incidental employment activity.


Related Links

J-1 Scholars