Program Transfer

An Exchange Visitor may transfer from one designated Exchange Visitor program to another designated program. Students seeking to change J-1 program sponsors, either to attend a different school or to remain at Yale, must complete the transfer of J-1 programs prior to the end date as noted on the form DS-2019.

Transferring to Yale University

Students who have been accepted to an academic program at Yale and and who are currently in the U.S. in J-1 status must complete the Transfer In Verification Form and submit it to OISS. Yale will issue your DS-2019 when this form is received and your "transfer release date" has been reached. All new students must report to OISS within 15 days of your transfer release date in order to complete the transfer. Yale students holding J-1 sponsorship by a third party who seek to transfer to Yale's J-1 program must consult with OISS.

Transferring from Yale University

J-1 students leaving Yale and transferring to another J-1 program must inform OISS of their intention to transfer to another J-1 program by filling out the Transfer Release Form.