J-1 Students

The J visa’s formal name is the Exchange Visitor Program and is governed by the U.S. Department of State. The Program was created to “…promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange…” At Yale students use the J visa for various degree and certificate programs including the Visiting Assistant in Research, Visiting Student in Research students. The spouse and dependent children of a J-1 student hold J-2 status and can usually obtain permission from DHS to work in the U.S. To learn more about how the Department of State runs the J Exchange Visitor Program please watch a short video or read the information posted on their web site.

Contact Information:

Before coming to New Haven it is important for you to communicate directly with your degree program or host department at Yale regarding your arrival date, and details of how to begin your appointment. In addition please be sure to read your Yale admission letter carefully, and ask the department if you have any concerns about any financial aid or tuition fees and expectation of any on-campus work teaching or research.

Contact OISS
If you do not understand the terms of your Yale appointment, or if you still have unanswered questions, please contact an advisor in OISS. If you ever have any immigration questions OISS should be your first resource. We are happy to help you understand the complexities of U.S. immigration policies.

Contact the Department of State
As an Exchange Visitor (J-1) your visa is governed by the U.S. Department of State (DOS.) The Office of Private Sector Exchange Administration Academic and Government Programs (OPA-AG) monitors and enforces full compliance with Department regulations and policies with a focus on exchange visitors’ health, safety, and well-being; and responds to complaints and incidents. At any point prior to coming to Yale, or during your program, you should feel free to contact the DOS using the information below.

Telephone: 1-866-283-9090

E-mail: Agalert@state.gov


J-1 Visa Application


applicationApplication Instructions


iconPaying the SEVIS Fee


iconJ-2 Dependent Status


J-1 Visa Regulations


applicationMaintaining Legal Status


iconExtension of J-1 Status


extensionHealth Insurance Requirement


iconChanging Categories


iconProgram Transfer


iconResidence Requirement


iconWaiver of Residence Requirement



j1 students

Related Links

Related J-1 Student Topics

gearsEmployment Authorization

More Resources

Understanding Your Visa

From the U.S. Department of State