Health Insurance Requirement

All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by federal regulations to have medical insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S. You may select the medical insurance that is best for you and any family and sign-up directly with the insurance company of your choice. It is not necessary to provide the insurance plan to OISS. However, if you are coming to Yale for the first time, we will ask you (at OISS check-in) to sign a statement attesting that you have appropriate insurance coverage. During your stay at Yale it is advisable to contact your insurance provider directly to make sure your policy meets the required minimum coverage:

  • 100,000 per accident or illness (new as of May 15, 2015)
  • Medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000
  • Repatriation coverage for up to $7500
  • A deductible of no more than $500 per illness

Yale Health Members: Note that if you are a Yale Health member, their insurance coverage (combined with UHC Global Travel Assistance, see below) exceeds these minimum requirements.

Any insurance policy that fulfills these requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of “A” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-i” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims-paying Ability rating of “A” or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of “B+” or above, or such other rating service that the Exchange Visitor Program may specify. Insurance coverage backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the Exchange Visitor’s home country meets the requirements. Health benefits programs offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor or underwritten by a federally qualified health maintenance organization (HMO) or an eligible competitive medical plan as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration shall also qualify. The medical and hospitalization coverage provided by the Yale Health Plan meets and exceeds these requirements, but does not provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation.

NOTE: If you willfully fail to maintain the insurance coverage as set forth or make a material misrepresentation to your J-1 sponsor regarding the coverage, you will be considered to be in violation of the Exchange Visitor Program regulations and will be subject to termination as an Exchange Visitor participant. It is your responsibility, not Yale’s, to obtain and maintain insurance coverage.

Repatriation Coverage

If you are a Yale employee, affiliate or student, the medical evacuation and repatriation insurance requirement is covered for you by UHC Global Travel Assistance an additional program purchased by the University. If you are a J-1 student, you must make certain that your insurance includes coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation. Talk to the OISS for more information.