J-2 Dependent Status for Spouse & Children

On this page:

The spouse and dependent children of the J-1 Exchange Visitor are eligible for J-2 status and may use this status to accompany the J-1 individual to the U.S. To be eligible for J-2 child must not be over 21. No other family members are eligible for J-2 status. You must also demonstrate sufficient financial resources their support.

To notifiy OISS that a spouse or child will join you after your arrival, complete the F-1 and J-1 Dependent SEVIS Information Form along with evidence of sufficient funds to support their stay.

Applying for J-2 Status

Each person in J-2 status must have his or her own DS-2019. If the spouse and/or dependent child will accompany the J-1 scholar this information must be conveyed by the host department at the time of requesting the initial DS-2019 form. If the spouse and/or dependent child will join the scholar in the U.S, the scholar will request the DS-2019 from OISS.

A minimum amount of financial support is required for the issuance of a dependent DS-2019 (spouse and/or child). This budget is set by each school.  Please contact the OISS for this year’s figures.

With the DS-2019 the J-2 dependent may apply for a J-2 visa at the U.S. Consulate.

J-1/J-2 Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors (J-1) and their J-2 dependents are required to maintain health and accident insurance coverage during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See under Health Insurance Requirement for more information.