Program Transfer

A J-1 Exchange Visitor may transfer from one designated Exchange Visitor program to another designated program. Program transfers for professors or research scholars must be effected from within the U.S. and within the five years allowed to Exchange Visitors in these categories. The transfer procedures must be completed prior to the end date as noted on the form DS-2019.

Transferring to Yale University

Scholars who have a Yale appointment and who are currently in the U.S. in J-1 status must complete the Transfer In Verification Form and submit it to OISS as follows:

1.) Complete your information in Part One

2.) Have your current school complete their transfer information in Part Two

3.) Scan the completed Transfer Verification Form and attach it to your ISD record (log in to ISD, go to Documents tab and attach.)

All new scholars must report to OISS within 15 days of your transfer release date in order to complete the transfer.

Transferring from Yale University

Scholars leaving Yale and transferring to another J-1 program must inform OISS of their intention to transfer to another J-1 program by filling out the Transfer Release Form.