J-1 Research Scholars & Professors

The J visa’s formal name is the Exchange Visitor Program. To learn more about what the Program is and how it is different from other non-immigrant visas please watch a short video or read the information posted on the State Department web site. The J-1 visa for scholars has several sub-categories. To see details about each type of J-1 Yale offers, please review the information about the different categories.

J-1 Visa Application






iconShort Term Visits


iconApplication Instructions


iconPaying the SEVIS Fee


iconJ-2 Dependent Status


J-1 Visa Regulations


iconMaintaining Legal Status




iconHealth Insurance Requirement


iconProgram Transfer


icon12 and 24 Month Bars


iconTwo-Year Residence Requirement


iconResidence Requirement Waiver


iconChanging categories