J-2 Dependent Status for Spouse & Children

The spouse and dependent children of the J-1 Exchange Visitor are eligible for J-2 status and may use this status to accompany the J-1 individual to the U.S. To be eligible for J-2 child must not be over 21. No other family members are eligible for J-2 status.

Applying for J-2 Status

Each person in J-2 status must have his or her own DS-2019. If the spouse and/or dependent child will accompany the J-1 scholar this information must be conveyed by the host department at the time of requesting the initial DS-2019 form. If the spouse and/or dependent child will join the scholar in the U.S, the scholar will request the DS-2019 from OISS.

Support Minimums
Scholar   $28,800/year
Spouse   $7,500/year
Each Child   $5,000/year

With the DS-2019 the J-2 dependent may apply for a J-2 visa at the U.S. Consulate.

J-1/J-2 Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors (J-1) and their J-2 dependents are required to maintain health and accident insurance coverage during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See under Health Insurance Requirement for more information.

Requesting a J-2 DS-2019 Form

Please log into ISD (the OISS system used to make your DS-2019 Form. ) If you do not remember your ISD password, please contact your department administrator (and they may be able to enter the data for you.)

1.) Go to the Dependent Specific tab and enter the biographical data for each family member.

2.) Attach evidence of the additional funding (see above requirements) using the Document tab.

3.) Remember to hit the SAVE button after entering the information.

4.) Contact your department administrator and request that they "Submit" the family data to OISS using ISD.