Common Visas

Below you'll find the regulations for visas that are commonly used by international students and scholars at Yale. You can always contact the OISS if you have questions about what might be the best visa for you.



F-1 versus J-1

Determine which status is right for you.


J-1 Research Scholars & Professors

Designed specifically for researchers at Yale.



F-1 Students

Remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student.


H-1B Temporary Worker

Used to hire a foreign national professional for a temporary period of time.



J-1 Students

Remain in the U.S. for the duration of your full-time academic program.




Related Links

Other visa categories: