F-2 Dependent Status for Spouse & Children

Dependents of F-1 students will be permitted to join you in the U.S. provided you demonstrate that there are sufficient financial resources for their support.

A spouse and dependent children of F-1 students hold F-2 status and may not work in the U.S.

For children to qualify for F-2 status they must be under age 21 and unmarried.

F-2 spouses may not engage in full-time study. F-2 children may only engage in full-time study at the K-12 level. Part-time study is permitted only to the extent that it is "avocational or recreational".

To notifiy OISS that a spouse or child will join you after your arrival, complete the F-1 and J-1 Dependent SEVIS Information Form along with evidence of sufficient funds to support their stay.