Short Term Visits

Please note that for short visits that are six months or less, there are two different J-1 visa categories to choose from:

  • J-1 short term scholar
  • J-1 research scholar/professor

The choice of one over the other can affect the ability to extend time in the U.S. or the ability to return to the U.S. again in the future. You can research the best category for your scholar on the J-1 Scholar page.