Determine Funding Support

U.S. immigration regulations require that Yale verify and document adequate funding arrangements for all incoming scholars.


Yale has set a minimum of $2100/month for an individual and an additional $625/month for an accompanying spouse and $417/month for each accompanying child. In all instances the minimum level of funding must be met before a visa document can be issued. In addition, all scholars and any accompanying dependents must have health insurance coverage.


Funding sources typically fall into the following categories:

  • Yale University Funds
  • Government Funds
  • Other Organization Funds
  • Personal Funds

In addition to the set minimum, funding support varies based on the visa type and the appointment title your scholar will be coming to Yale under. The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs sets the funding levels for all appointments that fall under their office.

Find requirements: