Medical & Dental Care

Schedule all your doctor's and dentist's check-ups at home before you leave. Medical and dental care in the U.S. is excellent, but it makes sense to take care of anything you need before you arrive. Dental care in the U.S. is VERY expensive. While it is possible to purchase a student discount plan, it does not cover all dental procedures 100%.


Bring any prescription medications (with copies of your prescriptions translated into English) or even non-prescription medications that you take. Sometimes it is difficult to translate a prescription or a nonprescription medication. If you can bring the scientific name of the drug with you, it may be easier to find the equivalent when you arrive in the U.S. Prescription medication will often cost more in the U.S. for the same drug from the same company, so you may want to bring enough of a supply with you (as long as it will remain fresh for the time you are here).

tipFor J-1 Students and Scholars

All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by federal regulations to have medical insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S. Select your visa status below for more information:

J-1 Student status   J-1 Scholar status


It is advisable to carry traveler’s insurance if your home insurance will not cover the expenses of emergency medical care while you travel and during your first few days at Yale. Yale Health Plan coverage for new students begins on the day of the opening of dormitories.