Rahul Raghavan, Postdoctoral Associate
I seek to better understand evolutionary processes that facilitate lifestyle shifts in bacteria. Currently I study genome and ncRNA evolution that occur when a bacterium moves from a free-living to a host-associated niche.Curriculum vitae (pdf)
- Ph.D., Microbiology & Biochemistry, The University of Montana, 2008
- MSc., Medical Microbiology, Kasturba Medical College, India, 1998
- BSc., Zoology, Botany & Chemistry, University of Calicut, India, 1995
- Assistant Professor, Portland State University, 2012
Postdoctoral Associate, Yale University, 2010-2012
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Arizona, 2009-2010
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Montana, 2008-2009
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Montana, 2005-2008
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Montana, 2004-2005
- Research Scientist, Triesta Sciences LLC, Bangalore, India, 2003-2004
- Research Associate, St. John's Medical College, Bangalore, India, 2002-2003
- Microbiologist, ARMS Diagnostic and Research Center, Calicut, India, 1999-2003
- Lecturer, School of Health Sciences, University of Calicut, India, 1998-2003
- Trainee Microbiologist, Kasurba Medical College, Manipal, India, 1996-1998
Raghavan, R. and H. Ochman. 2011. Selection on coding regions as a driver of genomic base composition in bacteria. Submitted (PLoS Genetics).
Raghavan, R., D.B. Sloan and H. Ochman. 2011. Antisense transcription is pervasive but rarely conserved in enteric bacteria. Submitted (PLoS Pathogens).
Raghavan, R., E.A. Groisman, H. Ochman. 2011. Genome-wide detection of novel regulatory RNAs in E. coli. Genome Res. 21: 1487-1497.
Raghavan, R., A. Sage, H. Ochman. 2011. Genome-wide identification of transcription start sites yields a novel thermosensing RNA and new cyclic AMP receptor protein-regulated genes in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 193:2871-4.
Minnick, M.F. and R. Raghavan. 2011. Genetics of Coxiella burnetii: on the path of specialization. Future Microbiol. 6: 1297-1314.
Hicks, L.D., I. Warrier, R. Raghavan and M.F. Minnick. 2011. Ribozyme stability, exon skipping and potential role for RNA helicase in Coxiella burnetti intron splicing. J. Bacteriol. 193: 5292-5299.
Minnick, M.F. and R. Raghavan. 2011. Developmental biology of Coxiella burnetii. 2011. In Toman, R., Heinzen R.A., Mege J.L. and Samuel J.E. (ed.). Coxiella burnetii. Springer, New York, NY. In press.
Kuo, C-H., H. Ochman and R. Raghavan. 2011. The genomics of Escherichia coli and beyond. In Walk, S.T. and P.C.H. Feng (ed.), Population Genetics of Bacteria: A Tribute to Thomas S. Whittam, ASM Press, Washington DC. 31-42.
Minnick, M.F., L.D. Hicks, J.M. Battisti and R. Raghavan. 2010. Pentamidine inhibits Coxiella burnetii 23S rRNA intron splicing and intracellular growth. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents.36:380-382 .
Hicks, L.D., R. Raghavan, J.M. Battisti and M.F. Minnick. 2010. A DNA-binding peroxiredoxin of Coxiella burnetii is involved in countering oxidative stress during exponential-phase growth. J. Bacteriol. 192:2077-2084.
Ochman, H. and R. Raghavan. 2009. Excavating the functional landscape of bacterial cells (Perspective). Science 326:1200-1201.
Raghavan, R. and M.F. Minnick. 2009. Group I introns and inteins: disparate origins; convergent parasitic strategies. J Bacteriol. 191:6193-6202
Raghavan, R., L.D. Hicks and M.F. Minnick. 2009. A unique group I intron In Coxiella burnetii is a natural splice mutant. J. Bacteriol. 191: 4044-4046
Raghavan, R., L.D. Hicks and M.F. Minnick. 2008. Toxic introns and parasitic intein in Coxiella burnetii: Legacies of a promiscuous past. J. Bacteriol. 190:5934-5943
Raghavan, R., S.R. Miller, L.D. Hicks and M.F. Minnick. 2007. The unusual 23S rRNA of Coxiella burnetii: Two self-splicing group I introns flank a 34-Base-Pair exon and one element lacks the canonical ΩG. J. Bacteriol. 189:6572-6579
Battisti, J.M., L.S. Smitherman, K.N. Sappington, N.L. Parrow, R. Raghavan, and M.F. Minnick. 2007. Transcriptional regulation of the heme binding protein gene family of Bartonella quintana is accomplished by a novel promoter element and iron response regulator. Infect. Immun. 75:4373-4385
Nagaraj, S., R. Raghavan, R. Maceden and A.V. Kurpad. 2004. Intestinal parasitic infection and total serum IgE in asymptomatic adult males in an urban slum and efficacy of antiparasitic therapy. Indian J. Med. Microbiol. 22:54-56