Neighborhoods / Project Areas
As this New Haven Redevelopment Agency map illustrates, during the 1950s and 1960s, nearly every neighborhood in New Haven became a redevelopment “project area.”
Major Project Areas, 1954–1968
The Oak Street Project, the city’s first, saw the clear-cutting of a neighborhood of recent immigrants, mostly Italians and Eastern European Jews, to make way for the Route 34 Connector and a string of Modernist buildings.
The Church Street Project razed blocks of downtown’s smaller commercial buildings and replaced them with the Chapel Square Mall and the Temple Street Garage.
The Dixwell Project, in New Haven’s predominately African American neighborhood, developed a strip-mall shopping center on Dixwell Avenue, replaced a number of older commercial and church buildings, and constructed cooperative housing projects in the neighborhood.
The Wooster Square Project redeveloped New Haven’s largely Italian American neighborhood. A large portion of the neighborhood was cleared for Interstate 91, as well as the construction of new industrial buildings and Conte School. The Project also rehabilitated a number of the area’s historic buildings.
The State Street Project covered a substantial portion of downtown not included in the Church Street Project. Along with clearing land for Interstate 91, a number of older buildings were torn down.
The Long Wharf Project involved filling in a roughly one hundred acre plot of land on the banks of New Haven Harbor. The new land housed a regional food terminal and a number of industrial buildings, as well as providing passage for the Connecticut Turnpike / Interstate 95.
The Hill Project saw the removal of a number of blighted buildings, as well as the construction of public housing projects.