Cor de chasse
French, 19th century
By François Perinet
Paris, ca. 1830
By the late 17th century the cor de chasse (hunting horn) had assumed its classical form in France: a long tube, straight at the mouthpiece end, becoming conical as it approached the widely flaring bell. The "French horn" was taken into the orchestra in the early 18th century, first in Germany and later in France. A school of horn playing arose around the middle of the century in Bohemia that developed a technique of partially stopping the opening of the bell with one hand. This "hand stopping" allowed a more complete scale and a wider range of tonalities, making it a favorite instrument of the Classical period composers. Late in the 18th century interchangeable crooks to vary the length of the tubing, and hence the pitch, were introduced. The early 19th century saw the introduction of valves to do the same thing more efficiently, but the valveless "natural horn" continued in wide use well into the third quarter of the century.
Inscription: The edge of the bell is stamped: "FRANÇOIS PERINET RUE COPERNIC 51 PRES L'ARC DE L'ETOILE A PARIS". The instrument and mouthpiece are of brass; the mouthpiece is plated with silver. Diameter of coil 34.6 cm; diameter of bell 26.4 cm.
Collection Purchase: The Friends of Music at Yale Fund
Accession No. 3605.1957