English, 18th century
A native of Switzerland, Johann Schnetzler (1710-1785) emigrated to England in 1742. This organ originally was built as a bureau or chest organ and later enlarged by Snetzler to its present form with an upper extension to the case. The instrument is winded either by the player pumping a pedal or by an assistant pulling a leather strap. As is often the case with English chamber instruments of this period, several of the stops are divided so they may be drawn for either treble or bass, or both, which allows for contrasting registrations in the two ranges.
Compass: 4 octaves & 4 notes: C to e''' (no d#'''). Inscription: The name batten is inscribed: "IOHANNES SCHNEZTLER . FECIT . LONDINI . 1742". The case is painted elaborately in the southern European manner with arabesques and large trompe l’oei medallions on the sides and the upper and lower cabinet doors. l Height: 165cm; width 108cm; depth of case (bottom) 70.5cm; depth of case (top) 37cm.
Octave span: 15.9cm.
Stopped Diapason 8'
Open Diapason 8 (c' - e''')
Flauta 4' (C - b)
Flauta 4' (c - e''')
Sesquialtera (C - b: 1-1/3' & 1')
Sesquialtera: (c - e''': 4' & 2')
Cornet: 2-2/3' & 1-3/5'
Provenance: The Belle Skinner Collection
Accession No. 3190.1960