yale studentYale University is one of the world's most distinguished centers of learning and research. Originally founded in 1701, the University is named in honor of Elihu Yale, whose generosity made possible the completion of the first college building in New Haven in 1718. The University has approximately 11,000 students, 3,330 faculty members, and 7,000 staff members.

The University has twelve schools: Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and ten professional schools for the study of Art, Architecture, Divinity, Drama, Forestry and Environmental Studies, Music, Law, Management, Medicine (including Epidemiology and Public Health), and Nursing.

Yale LibraryThe University offers outstanding facilities for research. The libraries contain nearly 11 million bound volumes and subscribe to 64,000 periodicals. The Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, the University Art Gallery, the Center for British Art, the Collection of Musical Instruments, and Information Technology Services, as well as the extensive resources of the Medical School and other professional schools are available to all students. In addition, Yale participates in the Research Libraries Group, extending our assets to include Columbia and Harvard universities and the New York Public Library.

Research facilities for the sciences include the Josiah Willard Gibbs Research Laboratories, the Kline Geology Laboratory, the Sterling Chemistry Laboratory, the 14-story Kline Biology Tower, the Becton Engineering and Applied Science Center, the Peabody Museum of Natural History, the Bass Center for Molecular and Structural Biology, the Arthur W. Wright Nuclear Structure Laboratory, the Bush Center in Child Development and Social Policy, the Institute for Biospheric Studies and the many biomedical science laboratories in the Sterling Hall of Medicine.

 

 

Yale

Yale’s roots extend to the 1640s, when colonial clergymen led an effort to establish a college in New Haven to preserve the tradition of European liberal education in the New World. This vision was fulfilled in 1701, when the charter was granted for a school “wherein Youth may be instructed in the Arts and Sciences [and] through the blessing of Almighty God may be fitted for Publick employment both in Church and Civil State.