Free Speech in Cyberspace
1. Regulating Online Speech-- Technological End Runs
Hate Speech-- or, How easy is the Net to Regulate?
What is a "True Threat" on the Internet?
2. On-line Liability: Defamation, Collateral Censorship, and Anonymity
Defamation and Collateral Censorship
3. Is Software Speech?
Links and Rights to Link
The Right to Link and Deep Linking
4. Distribution Architectures: Open Access and Freedom of Speech
5. Intellectual Property and Freedom of Speech
Database Protection and Freedom of Speech
6. Legal Protection for Anticircumvention Technologies-- The DeCSS Controversy
7. Trademarks. Domain Names, and Freedom of Speech
Hacker Gadfly at Center of New Suit
Does a Parody Site Go Too Far? (re: Doughney v. Peta)
- Domain Name
Francisco Arts and Athletics, Inc., v. U.S. Olympic Committee, 483
U.S. 522 (1987)
Bean, Inc. v. Drake Publishers, Inc., 811 F.2d 26 (1st Cir. 1987)
Total Fitness Holding Corp. v. Faber, 29 F. Supp. 2d 1161 (C.D. Cal. 1998)
for Jesus v. Brodsky, 993 F. Supp. 282 (D.C.N.J. 1998).
Enterprises v. Netscape Communications Corp., 55 F. Supp. 2d 1070
(C.D. Cal. 1999).
Inc v. Network Solutions, Inc., 202 F.3d 573 (2d Cir. 2000).
A-1 Adver., Inc. v. Network Solutions, Inc., 121 F. Supp. 2d 156
Inc. v. Spotlight Magazine, Inc., 86 F. Supp. 2d 176 (W.D.N.Y. 2000).
for the Ethical Treatment of Animals v. Doughney, 2001 U.S. App.
LEXIS 19028 (4th Cir.).
- ICANN Domain Name
Dispute Resolution Policy
Arbitration and Mediation, Bruce Springsteen v. Jeff Burgar and
Bruce Springsteen Club, Case No. D2000-1532
8. Privacy and Freedom of Speech
9. Regulating Obscene and Indecent Speech on the Internet
"Community Standards" on the Internet
Digitization of Child Pornography
Regulation of Indecent Expression on the Internet
10. Filtering and Rating Architectures
11. Mandatory Filtering in Schools and Libraries
Government Mandated Filtering
Mandatory Filtering in Schools and Libraries
Additional Background Reading
12. Regulating Spam
13. Democracy on the Internet
Key First Amendment and Copyright Decisions
Internet Civil Liberties and Democracy Sites
Freedom of Speech Sites
Listservs and Headlines