Copyright 1998 Jack M. Balkin. All rights reserved.
The Top Ten Reasons to be a Legal Pragmatist
10. It works.
9. Being a legal pragmatist means never having to say you have a theory.
8. Buy American.
7. If you're left-wing, you can finally find something to agree with
Richard Posner about.
6. You can read all your philosophical sources in the original.
5. If you're right-wing, you can finally find something to agree with
Frank Michelman about.
4. You can avoid seeing the world in terms of rigid philosophical
dichotomies (or not).
3. Because you're socially constructed, it really isn't your fault
that you became one.
2. You can also be (a) a civic republican, (b) a feminist, (c) a
deconstructionist, (d) a case-cruncher, (e) a crit, (f) a
law-and-economics type, or (g) anything else.
1. No one has yet discovered John Dewey's anti-semitic writings for Le Soir.
Return to Writings Online