Resume Writing Tips
The first step to an exciting, new career is to prepare a great resume that highlights your skills, qualifications and experiences, as well as shows how you can be a valuable asset to an organization. Download a copy of our Resume Writing Tips.
In addition, a resume that puts you on the fast track to a rewarding career should include the following:
- Full name
- Permanent and school addresses
- Phone number - Your voicemail message should be appropriate.
- Email - Your email address should be professional (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
Objective or Professional Profile
- Include the name of the position for which you are applying.
- Emphasize how your skills and qualifications successfully relate to the position.
- Be clear and concise.
- List your most recent educational experience first.
- Include the name of the institution you attended and its location, as well as the degree you earned, your major/minor and graduation year.
- List your academic awards and honors.
Internship and Work Experience
- List your most recent internship or work experience first.
- Include the name of the company, its location, your title and the duration of each internship or job.
- List your responsibilities and the specific results you accomplished using action verbs.
- For example, "Developed key training materials that helped sales representatives to increase sales by 15% over prior years."
- Computer skills and software programs used
- Languages spoken
Associations and Activities
- Leadership positions held
- Volunteerism/community service
Tip: Proofread your resume multiple times. You may also consider asking your friends and/or a career advisor to review your resume.