Green Purchasing Update
Behind the scenes this summer, Yale University Procurement has been advancing Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) otherwise known as “Green Purchasing” here at Yale. While you have heard about specific measures to convert to 30% recycled content office paper and hybrid vehicles, we have recently taken several significant steps to ensure that the products we purchase have a reduced negative effect on human health and the environment compared to other services. To that end, we have:
- Included EPP language in the draft of the General Purchasing Policy and General Purchasing Procedures to be reviewed/released this fall
- Prepared a Guide to Environmentally Preferable Purchasing for Yale purchasers
- Participated in NAEP’s Sustainability Institute and joined the Responsible Purchasing Network
- Routinely include include a Sustainability Statement in Requests for Information and Requests for Proposals
- Encourage presentations from Yale suppliers to learn more
- Surveyed Top Yale suppliers on their activities (click here for survey results)
- Surveyed other universities on their planning and progress (click here for survey results)
- Updated Yale’s Green Purchasing web site
In the near future, we are looking forward to initiating an outreach program in partnership with Office of Sustainability to further Yale’s goals.
If you are interested in learning more about Green Purchasing, please contact Brenda Naegel at email@example.com or 432-5810.