Announcement - Business Manager Reporting Relationships
As part of the ongoing effort to enhance financial and administrative support of departments, Shauna King, Vice President for Finance and Administration announced that effective July 1, 2007, all Business Managers (lead department administrators) will have a reporting line to Finance & Administration in addition to their current reporting line to the Dean, Director, or Chair of their units. This extends and formalizes a model that has worked with great success in the Yale School of Medicine and on Science Hill. Click here for a full text of the announcement or visit www.yale.edu/fa/businessops.
All business managers on campus were invited to attend a meeting on April 20 to discuss the changes and to begin the important work of identifying opportunities to improve the quality of support for faculty, students, and staff. As a starting point the group was asked to begin working together to answer the following questions:
- What opportunities could we begin working on immediately and accomplish quickly (within the next six months) that would help you perform your business manager role more easily, effectively, or efficiently?
- What are the top three priorities from the opportunities identified?
A few of the preliminary opportunities identified on April 20 are listed below:
- Create a one-stop shop for information relevant to business managers.
- Establish a mentoring program pairing small department mentors with small departments and large department mentors with large departments.
- Designate an ombudsperson for the University.
- Create a regular dialogue among business managers (i.e., small training clusters, forum groups, monthly business manager meetings).
Over the coming weeks and months the Business Operations team will be refining the list of priorities further and then working together with others to make the top priorities a reality.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact Steve Murphy, Associate Vice President for Business Operations (email@example.com or 432-8090).