Benefit Eligibility Requirements (Medical, Dental, Vision & Flex)
You are eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage if you satisfy of one the following requirements:
- You are a faculty, postdoctoral associate or fellow with an appointment of at least 50% of time
- You are a clerical & technical, service & maintenance, security or YPBA employee scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week
- You are a manager, professional staff member, police supervisor or a police command staff member scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week
Please note: Visiting faculty are only eligible for medical coverage. Postdoctoral fellows are only eligible for medical and dental coverage.
The following are considered eligible dependents*:
- Same-sex civil union partner or domestic partner (on file with Yale prior to April 2006).*
- Child, stepchild, adopted child (including a child placed for adoption), foster child or legal ward.**
- Disabled dependent child, regardless of age.
*Same sex spouse, civil union partner and domestic partners are excluded under Internal Revenue Code Section 152 and therefore subject to applicable taxation. For more information, click here.
**Children are eligible for medical and vision coverage until the end of the month in which they reach age 26. For dental coverage, children are eligible until the end of the month in which they reach age 19, or until the end of the month in which they reach age 25 if they are a full-time student. Click here for more information about full-time student status.
False and/or incomplete responses or statements may result in rescission of coverage and/or non-payment of claims for you or your eligible dependents as well as, discipline up to and including termination of employment. Understand that your file may be audited at any time to determine the eligibility of yourself and/or any dependent listed on your enrollment for medical and dental coverage.
If you add dependents to your coverage, you will be asked to provide verification of their eligibility, such as a marriage certificate for a spouse or a birth certificate for a child. Coverage will be terminated for unverified dependents.
You can choose various categories of coverage for different plans. However, you must enroll yourself in order to enroll your eligible dependents. Choose from one of the following categories: Individual, Two-person*, Family.
*Two-person coverage is defined as an employee plus a legal spouse or child. Same-sex marriage coverage is independent of this option.