607 Auditing Courses at Yale (Non-Credit Courses)
Regular employees of the University and their spouses may audit courses in Yale College or the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences free of tuition and course fees when the provisions listed below are met. (These auditing provisions do not apply to the Yale Summer Programs or to the professional schools.)
- The participant must be:
a regular full-time employee or spouse of such an employee
a regular part-time employee who is scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week and who has completed six months of service immediately prior to the start of the course, or spouse of such an employee.
- Employees are expected to meet full work requirements of their regular jobs while auditing courses. Therefore, decisions and approvals regarding the granting of release time and/or adjusted work schedules remain with the employees' supervisors.
Written approval prior to auditing is required:
- from the course instructor.
- from the employee's supervisor.
- employees of the University and their spouses may audit courses without charge in accordance with applicable personnel policies. Permission is required of the instructor, of the employee's supervisor, and of Director of Yale Summer Session and Special Programs.
- in the Graduate School, from the Registrar's Office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Forms for registration and for obtaining the requisite approvals may be obtained after consultation with the Director of the Teacher Preparation Program or the Registrar of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.