407 Military Leave
Military leave is a leave of absence from employment with the University for the purpose of serving on active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States, including summer encampment for employees in the reserves of the Armed Forces of the United States or the State of Connecticut.
Xref: PPP 400
A military leave of absence is available for up to 5 years of voluntary active duty.
Xref: PPP 404; 405
An employee on military leave of absence:
- is paid supplemental pay equal to the difference between the military compensation for military duty and the employee's regular rate of pay for up to ninety (90) days of active military service.
- who is in the reserves of the Armed Forces of the United States or the State of Connecticut, who is required to be absent for military reserve duty, is entitled to supplemental pay equal to the difference between the military compensation for such duty and the employee's regular rate of pay, for up to a maximum of two weeks per year.
- does not accrue PTO/vacation or sick days.
- is not eligible for holiday pay for holidays or recess days which occur during the leave.
- is eligible to apply for tuition assistance provided the leave is of shorter duration than the course and that the staff member is in a paid status at either the beginning or the end of the course.
- may extend the paid portion of the leave by using previously accrued PTO/vacation and personal time (if applicable).
- has health benefits that conform to those provided under general University Leave Policy.
- will be treated as having a "qualifying event" and may change health care coverage.
The returning employee must confirm the intention to return by writing the department supervisor at least two weeks prior to the end of the leave. A veteran's return to work at the University shall be conditional upon satisfactory discharge from the service. Returning veterans may be asked to show evidence of satisfactory completion of active duty, such as the discharge certificate.
An employee who fails to return to University employment within 90 calendar days following military discharge will be considered to have voluntarily resigned, effective on the 91st day. Similarly, an employee who accepts employment elsewhere, except as approved by the University in advance of the leave, or applies for Unemployment Compensation in Connecticut or any other state, or fails to return to work on the date agreed upon, is considered to have voluntarily resigned.