We have openings for postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduate students. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- March 2014: Katherine Lawrence has received a Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship
- January 2014:
Fourth GRC conference on Mechanical Quantum Systems
The Gordon Research Conferences have announced that the fourth GRC on "Mechanical Systems in the quantum regime" will be held in Ventura, California from March 8 - 9, 2014.
- June 2012: L'Oréal USA Fellowship
Postdoctoral associate Lily Childress has won the 2012 L'Oréal USA Fellowship for Women in Science.
- February 2012: Andrew Jayich defends his thesis on Optomechanics
- September 2011: Brian Yang defends his thesis on Optomechanics
- February 2011: Ben Zwickl defends his thesis on Optomechanics
- January 2011: Will Shanks defends his thesis on Persistent Currents in Normal Metal Rings
- January 2011:
Third GRC conference on Mechanical Quantum Systems
The Gordon Research Conferences have announced that the third GRC on "Mechanical Systems in the quantum regime" will be held in Galveston, Texas from March 4 - 9, 2012.
- November 2009: Arthur Greer Memorial Prize
Jack Harris receives the Arthur Greer Memorial Prize.
- July 2009: "Best Poster" at the Heraeus Seminar
Postdoctoral associate Jack Sankey received the "Best Poster" award at the Heraeus Seminar on "Quantum optics of nano- and micromechanical systems" in Bad Honnef, Germany.
- July 2009:
Second GRC on Mechanical Quantum Systems
The Gordon Research Conferences have announced that the second GRC on "Mechanical Systems in the Quantum Regime" will be held in Galveston, Texas, from March 20-26, 2010.
- July 2009:
Trieste Workshop on Mechanical Quantum Systems
The Abdus Salaam International Center for Theoretical Physics has announced a "Workshop on Nano-Opto-Electro-Mechanical Systems", to be held in Trieste, Italy, from September 6-10, 2010.
- July 2009: DARPA Young Faculty Award
Jack Harris has received a Young Faculty Award from DARPA.
- December 2008:
Jack Harris has been named one of 20 under 40 by Discover magazine.
- March 2008:
L'Oréal USA Fellowship
Postdoctoral associate Ania Bleszynski Jayich has won the 2008 L'Oreal USA Fellowship for Women in Science. The L'Oréal USA Fellowships for Women in Science program is a national awards program that annually recognizes and rewards five U.S.-based women researchers at the beginning of their scientific careers.
- February 2008: Martin and Beate Block Award
Postdoctoral associate Ania Bleszynski Jayich has won the Martin and Beate Block Award for best poster at
the Aspen Center for Physics Frontiers in Condensed Matter Systems Conference.
- February 2008: MSQR GRC
The first Gordon Research Conference on Mechanical Systems in the Quantum Regime (from NEMS to LIGO and everything in between) was held in Ventura, CA.
- August 2007: Thermometry paper posted on cond-mat
A paper describing simultaneous measurement of a cantilever's noise temperature and the electron temperature of a metal sample mounted on the cantilever.
- July 2007: Laser cooling to 7 mK
A paper describing a new approach to optomechanical coupling was posted on the arXiv (published in Nature in March, 2008).
- July 2007: Apker Finalist
Undergraduate researcher Jeff Thompson is named as a finalist for the APS LeRoy Apker award.
- Apr 2007: Fulbright Grant
Undergraduate researcher Jeff Thompson receives a Fulbright grant to study atomic physics in Mainz, Germany for one year.
- Feb 2007: Sloan Research Fellowship
The 2007 Sloan Research Fellowships were announced here.