Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences


Common Questions / Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and the answers to them have been organized under the topics at right. Use these links to display the topics in the space below. Please review the questions and answers carefully before contacting our office.

Please note: The university’s ten professional schools (Art, Architecture, Divinity, Drama, Forestry, Law, Management, Medicine, Music and Nursing) have separate admissions policies and application processes which are outlined within the admissions Web pages and publications of those schools.


When is a transcript required?

A record of your academic performance is required for each institution you list in the Prior Study section of the application. This record must be “uploaded” to your on-line application. An academic record can be in the form of a scanned copy of a transcript or an academic record from the institutions’ Student Information System (SIS) Portal. If uploading an academic record from your institutions SIS portal please be certain that it contains the institution name, course names and grade information and any academic comments. If not, then please upload a copy of your official transcript.

Do not mail, or have mailed, any paper based transcript to us or to your program until you have been offered admission and accepted that offer.

If you have listed a Study Abroad institution, and you check the box indicating your Additional college/university is a Study Abroad/Summer Abroad Course of Study, a seperate record of your academic performance is not required if the information appears on a transcript (or academic record) of, for instance, your baccalaureate degree transcript. If your academic performance is not on the transcript of your baccalaureate degree college then you should not check the box and should upload a transcript.

If you are pursuing a double major and have listed the same institution twice then you will need to upload the same transcript for both entries.

What does “Official Transcript” mean?

For our purposes we define an “Official” Transcript as a transcript received directly from the issuing institution (whether on paper or a Certified Electronic copy) properly signed/authenticated. An "Official" Transcript is only required once an offer of admission has been extended to you and accepted by you.

What does “Unofficial Transcript” mean?

We define an “Unofficial” Transcript as any transcript "uploaded" to your application. This status is automatically assigned and has no bearing on the status of your application or forwarding it to your designated program nor the review of your application.

What does “Final Official Transcript” mean?

We define a “Final Official” Transcript as a transcript received directly from the issuing institution (whether on paper or a certified electronic copy) properly (signed/authenticated). If this transcript is in support of your baccalaureate degree granting institution, it will indicate the “award” of the baccalaureate degree (or its foreign equivalent). If this transcript is in support of a prior study institution from which you received an advanced degree, it will indicate the "award" of that degree.Final Official Transcripts” are only required once an offer of admission is accepted.

Please Note: Your "Final Official Transcript" will be reviewed and compared to any transcript or academic record submitted or "uploaded" in support of your application.

My transcript has been evaluated by a credential evaluation service - can that evaluation be uploaded in lieu of my transcript?

Yes it can if the evaluation contains course and grade information. Please note however, that if you are offered admission and accept that offer, an original transcript will be required directly from the issuing institution.

The academic record I have from my school SIS portal does not contain the name of my school nor does it have a "transcript legend - is that a problem?

While it is preferred that any transcript or academic record you upload contains the institution name and a "legend" we understand that this is not always the case for academic records from institutional portals. If you have or can obtain a student copy of your "official Transcript" you can upload that instead.

Do I have to upload both the non-English and English translated transcript?

Yes. If your original “Transcript” is in a language other then English, you will need to upload both the original and the translation.

My uploaded transcript/s already indicate the award of the baccalaureate or advanced degree—if I am admitted do I have to send another “Final Official Transcript”?

Yes. If you were offered admission, and you accept that offer, you will have to send a “Final Official Transcript” for each Prior Study instuitution you listed in your on-line application, prior to matriculation.

I am not able to upload a copy of my “Transcript." May I send it to you via e-mail or upload a self-prepare transcript?

No. You need to make every effort to upload a scanned copy of your transcript, as that is required in order to submit your application. We are unable to accommodate and will not accept/process transcripts sent to us via mail or e-mail whether from an applicant or from an institution. Do not self prepare your own transcript as doing so will significantly delay the processing of your application

Can I upload my academic record (unofficial) transcripts obtained from my institution’s web site?

Yes. Academic records, such as those frequently available to enrolled students from an institutional Student Information System portal, can be uploaded. However, please make certain that such an academic record contains course identifiers, names and grades.

I have already asked that a transcript be sent to you. Should or can I upload a copy as well?

Yes. You will not be able to submit your application until you upload a copy of your transcript or academic record for each prior institution listed. Any transcript received by mail will be discarded.

Do I need to have a transcript sent to you if I have uploaded one with my application?

No, you do not and should not. An uploaded copy of your transcript or academic record is sufficient for the review of your application. Should you be offered admission and choose to accept that offer, then an "Official" and/or “Final Official Transcript” will be required from each institution listed in the Prior Study section.

Should I send in, or have sent in, an “Official Transcript” in support of my application?

No. A traditional “paper” transcript is neither required nor necessary for the review of your application. As described above, a record of your academic performance is required and must be “uploaded” to your on-line application. We do not accept paper transcripts during the initial application review process.

When is an “Official” or “Final Official Transcript” required?

An “Official Transcript” or “Final Official Transcript” is required only after an offer of admission has been extended to you and you accept that offer.

For Admitted Students only:

Final Official Transcripts may be traditional paper transcripts or Certified Electronic transcripts. In either case they are sent to us only from the issuing institution or its authorized agent. If your institution is able to send a Certified Electronic Transcript it should be sent to:


This address is only for institutional use only. Transcripts sent to this address by you (unless they are Certified Electronic transcripts) will be automatically deleted.

If your institution will be mailing a traditional paper transcript to us it must be mailed to:

The Office of Graduate Admissions
P.O. Box 208323
New Haven, CT 06520-8323

Or for overnight courier:

Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
The Office of Graduate Admissions
320 York Street
Room 118
New Haven, CT 06520

If you are in possession of copies of traditional paper transcripts (considered Final Official transcripts) still in their sealed institutional envelope, they will be acceptable but must be mailed to us. No transcript sent by you as an attachment to an e-mail will be accepted under any conditions.

My Academic Record from my institutions’ SIS Portal has an error in a course grade—can I correct this error?

No. You should not attempt to modify the information reflected on the academic record downloaded from your institutions SIS Portal. If there are errors you must have those errors correct before downloading the record.

My institution does not issue a traditional transcript or a record of my academic performance reflecting courses, credits and grades—what should I do?

You should upload that document which your institution issues regarding academic performance.

My institution sends transcripts electronically—are you able to accept them?

Yes and No. While we are able to accept Certified Electronic transcripts from the issuing institution or its authorized agent they are not to be provided during the initial stages of the application process and should not be sent (nor uploaded). If you have been offered admissions and accept that offer and your institution does provide electronic transcripts they may be sent from the institution to:


Transcripts sent to this address from applicants who have not been offered admission will be deleted.

May I upload a diploma or certificate of achievement or other non-academic record document?

Yes but it is not necessary to do so. If you feel they positively support your application then these documents may be uploaded to your application. Please note however that they must not be uploaded under the individual “institutional/college entries”, rather they should only be uploaded under the category called “Additional College History”

I have just submitted my application with uploaded transcripts but my transcript status does not indicate they are received - why is that?

Since you uploaded your transcripts they are received. Status information requires an overnight update process.

Fall term grades are now available – how can I report them to you?

You should return to your on-line application, log in and select Application For Admission. From the blue navigational bar, select Fall Term Grade Report under the Optional Forms section. Enter your coursework and grades and follow the instructions provided in the form to upload this report to your application. When done, your fall term grades will be available to faculty for review.