Ph.D. Candidate, Environmental Engineering, Yale University
Rob is a PhD candidate in Environmental Engineering at Yale University, working on novel methods for the sustainable augmentation of energy and water supplies, using the tools of engineered osmosis. This research includes the construction and testing of a forward osmosis desalination pilot plant, funded by a consortium of agencies including the Office of Naval Research, NAVSEA, U.S. Army TARDEC, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, and NASA, as well as continuing funding from Water CAMPWS. Rob is supported by a National Science Foundation Grant for Graduate Research. His advisor is Professor Menachem Elimelech.
1. McGinnis, R.L. and Elimelech, M. "Global challenges in energy and water supply: The promise of Engineered Osmosis", Environmental Science & Technology, submitted.
2. McGinnis, R.L., McCutcheon, J.R. and Elimelech, M. "A Novel Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Osmotic Heat Engine for Power Generation", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 305 (2007), pages 13-19. PDF File
3. Khalil, Y., Elimelech, M., and McGinnis, R. L. "A Novel, Safe, and Environmentally Friendly Technology for Water Production through Recovery of Rejected Thermal Energy from Nuclear Power Plants", Nuclear Engineering and Design. In Press.
4. McGinnis, R. L. and Elimelech, M. "Energy Requirements of Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Forward Osmosis Desalination", Desalination, Vol. 207, 2007, pages 370-382. PDF File
5. McCutcheon, J. R., McGinnis, R. L., and Elimelech, M. "The Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Forward Osmosis Process", Water Conditioning and Purification, Vol. 48, #10, Oct. 2006. view article
6. McCutcheon, J. R., McGinnis, R. L., and Elimelech, M. "Desalination by Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Forward Osmosis: Influence of Draw and Feed Solution Concentrations on Process Performance", Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 278, July 2006, pages 114-123. PDF File
7. McCutcheon, J. R., McGinnis, R. L., and Elimelech, M. "A Novel Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Foward (Direct) Osmosis Desalination Process", Desalination, Vol. 174, 2005, pgs 1-11. PDF File
McGinnis, R. L.; McCutcheon, J. R.; Cerutti, D.; Elimelech, M. Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Osmotic Heat Engine for the Conversion of Low Grade Heat into Electricity. PCT. Pat. Appl., Nov 2006.
McGinnis, R. L. Multi-Stage Column Distillation (MSCD) Method for Osmotic Solute Recovery. PCT. Pat. Appl., June 2006.
McGinnis, R. L. Method and System for Removing Solutes from a Solution Using Forward Osmosis. PCT. Pat. Appl., Dec 2005.
McGinnis, R. L. Modification of Spiral Wound Membranes for Forward Osmosis Use. PCT. Pat. Appl., Oct 2002.
McGinnis R. L. Osmotic Desalination Process. PCT. Pat. Appl. WO 02/060825 A2, Feb 2002.
McGinnis R. L. Osmotic Desalination Process. U.S. Patent 6,391,205, May 21, 2002.
Yale Graduate Teaching Fellowships
Nature, "A Fresh Approach to Water": http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v452/n7185/full/452253a.html
Environmental Science & Technology: http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2006/may/tech/pp_desalination.html
WCP Online (PDF): http://www.wcponline.com/PDF/0610McCutheon_McGinnis_Elimelech.pdf
Science (requires log in): http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/313/5790/1088
Yale Scientific Magazine: http://research.yale.edu/ysm/article.jsp?articleID=343
WHO Water Sanitation and Health: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/en/
Projected Water Scarcity (International Water Management Institute): http://www.iwmi.cgiar.org/resarchive/wsmap.htm
US Drought Monitor: http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html
US Bureau of Reclamation Water Group (Water Treatment and Engineering Research): http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/water/index.html
Seawater Desalination - Sandia National Labs: http://www.sandia.gov/water/desal/
US Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources: http://energy.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Home.Home
International Desalination Association: http://www.idadesal.org/
DOE Science and Technology: http://www.energy.gov/sciencetech/index.htm
DOE Energy Information Administration: http://www.eia.doe.gov/
International Energy Agency: http://www.iea.org/
World Energy Outlook (Free Downloads): http://www.iea.org/textbase/weo/free.asp
National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL): http://www.nrel.gov/
Energy Information Administration: http://www.eia.doe.gov/fuelrenewable.html
US DOE Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) - Solar Technologies: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/solar/technologies.html
Indoor Solar Lighting with Fiber Optics (Oak Ridge National Labs): http://www.ornl.gov/sci/solar/
Renewable Energy - Sandia National Lab: http://www.sandia.gov/Renewable_Energy/renewable.htm
EERE - Geothermal Technologies: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/geothermal/
EERE - Wind and Hydropower: http://www1.eere.energy.gov/windandhydro/
NREL Algae Biofuels History (PDF): http://www.nrel.gov/docs/legosti/fy98/24190.pdf
GreenFuel - Algae to Biofuel: http://www.greenfuelonline.com/
Algaculture - Algae to Biofuel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaculture
NREL - Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion - OTEC: http://www.nrel.gov/otec/achievements.html
Great OTEC Site (Many more links): http://www.seao2.com/otec/
Statkraft Salinity Power Overview: http://www.statkraft.com/pub/innovation/osmotic_power/osmotic_power_in_brief/osmotic_power_in_brief.asp
Statkraft Salinity Power Project (PDF): http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/abetz/Salinity_Power.pdf
Return to the Elimelech Group People Page
Last updated on 01-May-2008 10:26 PM