Ph.D. Candidate, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Yale University
B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Alfred University, 2011
Download resumé      Google Scholar Citations
Marissa is a doctoral student, co-advised by Menachem Elimelech and Chinedum Osuji, in the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering. Her research is focused on achieving greater nanoscale property control of membrane materials in order to facilitate more efficient membrane desalination and size-based separations. She is particularly interested in achieving nanoscale property control through directed molecular assembly techniques, including magnetic field-directed or surface-directed alignment of liquid crystals and molecular layer by layer assembly. Marissa also has an interest in engineering education and has been working to develop into an effective, student-centered educator through participation in K-12 outreach initiatives, laboratory-based mentoring, university-level guest lecturing, and formal teaching workshops. Outside of the lab, Marissa enjoys embarking on all sorts of adventures, particularly ones that take place outdoors, involve airplanes, or require an empty stomach.
pdfs and supporting information for group publications available on the main publications page.
- Squires, A.M., Akbar, S., Tousley, M.E., Rokhlenko, Y., Singer, J.P., Osuji, C.O. "Experimental Evidence of Proposed Transformation Pathway from Inverse Hexagonal to Inverse Diamond Cubic Phase from Oriented Lipid Samples." Langmuir, Volume 31. July 2015. pages 7707-7711.
- Feng, X., Tousley, M.E., Cowan, M.G., Wiesenauer, B.R., Nejati, S., Choo, Y., Noble, R.D., Elimelech, M., Gin, D.L., and Osuji, C.O. "Scalable Fabrication of Polymer Membranes with Vertically Aligned 1-nm Pores by Magnetic Field Directed Self-Assembly." ACS Nano, Volume 8. October 2014. pages 11977-11986.
- *Tousley, M.E., Feng, X., Elimelech, M., and Osuji, C.O. "Aligned Nanostructured Polymers by Magnetic Field Directed Self-Assembly of a Polymerizable Lyotropic Mesophase." ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, Volume 6. September 2014. pages 19710-19717. * Cover article
- *Perreault, F., Tousley, M.E., and Elimelech, M. "Thin-Film Composite Polyamide Membranes Functionalized with Biocidal Graphene Oxide Nanosheets", Environmental Science & Technology Letters, Volume 1, December 2013, pages 71-76. *Featured in Chemical & Engineering News and ES&T podcast Episode 16; ES&T Letters Letter of the Year Award 2014
- Zodrow, K.R., Tousley, M.E., and Elimelech, M.. "Mitigating biofouling on thin-film composite polyamide membranes using a controlled-release platform", Journal of Membrane Science, Volume 453, March 2014, pages 84-91.
- Tousley, M.E., Wren, A.W., Towler, M.R., Mellott, N.P., “Proceccing, Characterization, and Bactericidal Activity of Undoped and Silver-Doped Vanadium Oxides”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, Volume 137, December 2012, pages 596-603.
- Nguyen, B.N., Meador, M.A.B., Tousley, M.E., Shonkwiler, B., McCorkle, L., Scheiman, D.A., Palczer, A., “Tailoring Elastic Properties of Silica Aerogels Cross- Linked with Polystyrene”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Volume 1, February 2009, pages 621-630.